What is Hand Therapy in Regards to Post-Operative Care?
Hand therapy is a specialized branch of physiotherapy that focuses on the rehabilitation and recovery of hand and upper extremity conditions, including post-operative care. Following hand surgery, whether for fractures, tendon repairs, nerve injuries, or joint replacements, hand therapy plays a crucial role in maximizing healing, restoring function, and regaining independence.
What Kind of Treatment Can You Expect?
Our expert hand therapists provide comprehensive and personalized treatment plans tailored to your specific needs and surgical procedure. Here's what you can expect during your hand therapy journey:
- Evaluation and Assessment: Our skilled hand therapists will conduct a thorough evaluation to assess your condition, surgical outcome, and functional goals. This evaluation will guide the development of a customized treatment plan.
- Pain Management: We understand that post-operative pain can hinder your recovery. Our hand therapists will employ various techniques, such as manual therapy, modalities, and therapeutic exercises, to manage pain and reduce inflammation.
- Wound Care and Scar Management: Proper wound care is crucial for optimal healing. Our hand therapists will monitor your incision site, provide guidance on dressing changes, and implement scar management techniques to minimize scar tissue formation and improve scar mobility.
- Range of Motion Exercises: To restore joint mobility and prevent stiffness, our hand therapists will guide you through a series of range of motion exercises. These exercises will gradually increase the flexibility and movement of your hand and fingers.
- Strengthening and Conditioning: As you progress, we will introduce specific hand and finger exercises to strengthen the muscles and improve overall hand function. This will enable you to regain grip strength, dexterity, and fine motor skills necessary for daily activities.
- Customized Splinting: Depending on your surgical procedure and recovery goals, our hand therapists may provide custom splints or orthotics. These devices provide support, protect healing structures, and promote proper alignment during the healing process.
- Functional Activities and Return to Work: Throughout your therapy, we will gradually incorporate functional activities tailored to your lifestyle and work requirements. We will help you regain the skills and confidence needed to perform daily tasks and return to work safely.
- Education and Home Program: To empower your recovery, our hand therapists will educate you on self-care techniques, ergonomic principles, and injury prevention strategies. Additionally, you will receive a personalized home exercise program to continue your progress between therapy sessions.
What conditions can it treat?
- Fractures and Dislocations
- Tendon Injuries and Repairs
- Nerve Injuries
- Arthritis and Joint Disorders
- Dupuytren's Contracture
- Repetitive Strain Injuries
- Post-Surgical Rehabilitation
- Hand Trauma and Amputations